Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Wadada Leo Smith and Ed Blackwell




I have recommended a Wadada Leo Smith duo album with drummer earlier in the blog, his "America" with Jack DeJohnette. I see I doubted if it could be done any better, but let´s not discuss details, because last year Wadada Leo Smith and Ed Blackwell´s "The Blue Mountain´s Sun Drummer" (Kabell 2010) was released.  This live recording from 1986 is nothing less than fantastic, a trumpet and duo album full of melodies and beauty. I got my download from  eMusic.

I know Ed Blackwell (1929-1992) mostly from his work with Don Cherry and the band Old and New Dreams, and I was lucky to hear this band at the Molde International Jazz Festival in 1979. Unfortunately I have never heard Wadada Leo Smith live, but like his work with Henry Kaiser in Yo, Miles! a lot!

No comments: